11/12/2013

Deep Blue Delay with TAILS mod


I have modded my Deep Blue Delay because I really think that having tails is an essencial feature for a delay pedal. I took the idea from the Merlin's Small Time Delay. By adding a FET analog switch at the input of the PT2399 we can bypass the input of the IC while getting the output in form of tails.

The analog switch is in a daugther board. Terminals A & B are interchangeable in the main and daughter boards. Using a DPDT on/on and a 3PDT footswitch we can select between buffered bypass with tails and True Bypass.

Using the layout by Mark the mod include adding a cut, moving one leg of a resistor one row down and moving one 1uF cap. The A and B wires have to be soldered in the middle of the board instead of on the side but there is enough room for them without moving other components.

This is the layout with mods.



This is the daughter board with the off board wiring.



I built mine without the volume mod, and this is how it's looking, with a few scratches on the paint but I like it.




In this pic you can see the daughter board next to the output jack.


6 comments:

  1. Great job, I love the way you really added to this circuit to improve things. And great blog, I've got it bookmarked now! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, great work here. Tried your mod, but now it pops when switching (and the pop is delayed before playing anything). I don`t think it´s mechanical noise of the stomp. Do you have this pop too? Any ideas? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, mine doesn't pop but if the pop is been delayed that means it comes before the input or from the daughter board. I have made a new post with what should be a better daughter board. The link is at the top of this post. I suggest you to try it while you are at it. Good luck

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hi, I have a pop issue too even when flipping the toggle switch alone. The pop is not being delayed however.

      Delete
  3. Hi. I am about to put mine in its enclosure. I will go with your tail mod. (thanks for sharing btw). So I though about another way to design the FET switching. Same circuit as yours but instead of making a daughter board, since the layout is not that big, I decided to opt to add a couple rows to install the components there. So I made the extension layout part on 3 rows and whatever column you want (plenty of space). I find it easier to deal with the extra wires this way. I'd like to share it with you and if you want you can implement your article with it.

    ReplyDelete